Flaming drinks create quite a spectacle and are the ultimate end to a night out. You can get all kinds of flaming drinks recipes, from shots to cocktails, and as alcohol is especially flammable it can give a stunning effect. However, flaming drinks can also be quite dangerous, so here are a few things you should bear in mind before you decide to get the lighter out at your next party.
- First up, itís never a good idea to set fire to a drink when youíre already drunk. This is a recipe for disaster, and could result in the fire spreading to the rest of the house and even to your guests Ė not a great end to the evening!
- Although it looks cool to drink a flaming shot, think twice before you down it in one. People often forget that flaming drinks are actually hot, and if you drink them in the wrong way you could be scarred for life.
- Always remember that youíre not actually setting the alcohol itself on fire, youíre setting the fumes of the alcohol on fire. Donít set light to the whole drink as you donít want a full-blown fire on your hands!
- Itís worth bearing in mind that alcohol flames will burn with a bluer tint than normal flames, and as such could be harder to see. If thatís the case, always turn the lights out rather than peering over your drink and singing your eyebrows.
- Itís a good idea to use heavier glassware if you want to set light to your drink, as thinner or crystal versions are likely to crack or could be ruined by the flame.
- Donít add more alcohol to an already burning drink unless you want to run the risk of the flame spreading, and never let any other open drinks get too close to the flame.
- Never leave a burning drink unattended and donít let it burn for too long either, as not only will you run the risk of your glass cracking but you could also taint the flavour of your drink. Not quite whatís intended!
Stay Safe But Have Fun
Having pointed out all of the risks and the precautions that you need to take when having flaming drinks, remember the number one rule Ė have fun with them! Thatís what flaming drinks are all about; having fun and creating a spectacle for your guests. If you really want to throw a great party then you should definitely consider trying out a few flaming drinks recipes, and as long as you do it safely youíll be sure to put on quite a show.